Community Health Partners (CHP) is one Community Care of North Carolina's network affiliates. There are 63 primary care physician practices in the CHP network that serve as the medical home for the Health Choice and Carolina ACCESS II Medicaid patients.
CHP partners with health departments, social services agencies, hospitals and local area mental health agencies to help manage the medical services needed by the patients. Our aim is to improve the quality of care and impact the utilization of Medicaid services. The State of NC has charged Community Care of North Carolina with reducing the Medicaid budget in a responsible and patient-centered manner.
CHP nurse care managers perform activities including:
- Screening, health assessments and care planning to identify problems
- Patient education and behavior modification to improve outcomes
- Chronic disease management and use of evidence-based protocols
- Emergency room diversion for non-urgent reasons
CHP also administers the Health Check Program to make sure that children get to their doctor to receive their well-check exams and the ABCD Program to identify early childhood developmental problems.
Several new initiatives are underway through the CHP network:
- Behavioral Health Integration with Primary Care Physicians
- Palliative Care and End of Life Care
- Separating True Chronic Pain Patients from Prescription Drug Abusers